Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Shades of Gray.

A little while back I wrote about doing a little more exploration into Black and White photography.  I've been taking a few pictures since, and a handful of them have been intended for black and white.  Most of them have, not surprisingly, been intended as colour photos.  This morning I went to a staff meeting at my work, and afterwards had a little over an hour to kill before my shift started.  Naturally, me being me, I went and took some pictures.  And due to the weather, I decided that it was a perfect time for Black and White.  I started with this photo of people fishing on Ferry Island... THIS is dedication.  The rain was pouring down, and yet these folks are out there flogging the water in the hopes of landing a salmon.  And yes, I've been guilty of doing this, too.  Oh, wait... I was out taking pictures in that.   I happened to notice something in the process of setting up to take this shot:
What makes this shot unique is that it's a BLUE elderberry, as opposed to a Red Elderberry, which is extremely common.  Now... that's a nice strong image, with lots of colour, structure, and contrast.  So to explore the Black and White more effectively, here's what I came up with:


The picture is STILL strong, but the conversion changes the focus to the tones, contrasts, and structures.  It's no longer about the colour.  It changes the whole feel of it... and either way, the photo works.  Later in the day, I happened to find myself up in the Nass Valley on delivery, and was able to pop in to Vetter Falls on my way back down.  It's one of my favourite spots to photograph, and the lighting today was conducive for both B&W and colour photography.  Let's take a look them and compare the differences between them:


Again... both shots have strength, contrast, and structure.  The removal of colour changes the feel, but doesn't change the quality of the image.  Which image is better?  Personally, I'd have to say that decision is entirely in the eye of the beholder.  There are things I like about both shots, and I'm proud to say that it was time well-spent.

Before I get too far carried away, I want to take the time to thank my employer, RONA, Terrace Builders Centre, Ltd.  for allowing me to bring my camera with me on so many deliveries.  It gives me the chance to see places I've never seen before, and to share some of the events with you.  Coming soon to the blog: my trip to Kitsault.  (Okay, it was a couple of years ago, but it's still worth writing about.)

No comments:

Post a Comment